- 5 minutes Prep | 15-20 minutes Cooking
1. Combine flour, spices and salt together in a shallow dish; set aside.
2. In another dish combine mayonnaise and buttermilk.
3. Heat 1″ of oil in a large, heavy frying pan to about 350°F.
4. Dip each piece of chicken into flour mixture, shake off excess, dip into mayonnaise mixture, then dip back into flour.
5. Carefully place coated chicken into hot oil, making sure not to crowd the pan. The chicken may need to be cooked in batches. Cook until golden brown and cooked through, about 6-10 minutes on each side, while maintaining oil temperature at about 315-330°F. Add remaining chicken and cook as above. Cooked chicken should have an internal temperature of 165°F.
Whether straight from the bucket or served on a platter, fried chicken hits the spot no matter the season or occasion. It’s one of those foods that’s loaded with nostalgia – fried chicken’s savory, herby aroma wafting from a nearby drive-through joint or a neighbor’s open window is enough to inspire an intense craving that can only be satisfied with a homemade plate of fried chicken. The crunchy, salty skin and tender, juicy meat make for an unparalleled and instantly recognizable burst of flavor.
This savory favorite is applauded for three major hallmarks: the crispiness of the skin, the juiciness of the meat, and overall flavor experience. Duke’s Mayonnaise guarantees fried chicken will score perfect 10s in all three categories. The mayonnaise helps the breading adhere to the chicken and ensures the meat retains its tender juiciness. Duke’s Mayonnaise lends its subtle, tangy flavor to the garlic, onion and pepper that pack this mouthwatering classic with its distinctive flavor.
Fried chicken holds a special place in the hearts and homes of many families, and it’s no surprise why. While a classic, no-frills recipe will always please a crowd, there are plenty of ways cooks can amp up the flavor of traditional fried chicken. Dip a drumstick into ketchup, coat it with hot sauce, or drizzle honey on top. Pair it with waffles and syrup for a classic hearty breakfast. Whether served with a side of Duke’s Creamy Mashed Potatoes or slathered with Duke’s Creamy Honey Mustard dressing, this fried chicken recipe will be the star of any cookout or family dinner.