- 30 minutes Prep | 25-30 minutes Cooking
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Grease and flour 2 round cake pans then set aside.
3. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
4. In another bowl, beat together sugar and mayonnaise. Add eggs and coconut milk, and continue beating until it is well blended.
5. Add flour mixture to bowl and beat on low until combined.
6. Pour into prepared pans, and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean; do not over-bake.
7. Cool in pans for about 10 minutes, then cool completely on racks before frosting.
1. Combine the sugar, water, egg whites and cream of tartar in the top of a double boiler or in a metal bowl that fits in a large saucepan with space for water in saucepan (upper pan or bowl should not touch water in saucepan).
2. Beat ingredients for about 30 seconds or until blended.
3. Set over boiling water and continue beating on high for about 7 minutes or until mixture forms stiff peaks.
4. Remove from heat and beat in extract.
5. Frost cooled cake, then sprinkle with shredded coconut as desired.