Chocolate Espresso Cake with Caramel-Chocolate Ganache Buttercream Frosting
- 30 minutes Prep | 30 minutes Cooking
Chocolate Espresso Cake:
1. Whisk all-purpose flour with next 6 ingredients.
2. Sift together all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking soda, ground cinnamon, salt, and baking powder. Fold in almond flour.
3. Beat eggs, sugar, and vanilla extract at medium speed for 3 minutes or until very light brown and ribbons form. Add mayonnaise combined with flour mixture.
4. Preheat oven to 325°F. Butter two 9-inch cake pans with parchment paper and butter parchment paper. Place in two 9-inch cake pans.
5. Bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Caramel-Chocolate Ganache Buttercream Frosting:
1. Place chocolate in a heatproof bowl and set aside.
2. In a small saucepan, bring the cream to a simmer over low heat (do not let boil over).
3. In medium saucepan, combine ¼ cup water, sugar, and glucose. Stir, but do not let it touch the sides.
4. Cook on high until amber in color for 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat and add the cream. Be careful; may boil up.
5. Add mixture to the bowl of chocolate and let sit for 2 to 3 minutes.
6. Starting in the center of the bowl and working your way out to the edges, slowly stir the chocolate and caramel mixtures in a circle until the chocolate is completely melted. Let cool.
7. Transfer to the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on low speed until bowl feels cool to the touch. Increase the speed to medium high and gradually add the butter, beating until thoroughly incorporated. Scrape down the bowl and beat on high speed until mixture is fluffy.
To Assemble Cake:
1. Place first cake layer on cake plate and trim the very top of the cake.
2. Soak with ¼ cup espresso or strong coffee.
3. Place a cup of buttercream frosting on top and even out the layer.
4. Then top with the second layer and soak that layer with remaining espresso.
5. Place remaining buttercream frosting in refrigerator for 15 minutes, then frost the sides and top with remaining frosting.