Aunt Lola Mae’s Cornflake Fried Chicken
- 10-12 hours (chilling) plus 35 minutes (active) Prep | 10-12 minutes Cooking
1. Place chicken in a 2-gallon freezer bag.
2. Whisk together buttermilk and 1 tablespoon of cayenne pepper.
3. Pour over chicken and refrigerate overnight.
4. The next morning, drain chicken and pat dry. Discard buttermilk mixture.
5. Melt enough shortening to come ½ inch up the side of a 12″ cast iron skillet or heavy frying pan.
6. Crush 6 cups cornflakes by squeezing in freezer bag. Add one tablespoon of cayenne pepper and shake to combine.
7. Place 2 cups Duke’s Mayonnaise in a shallow bowl.
8. Coat each piece of chicken with mayonnaise and shake each in cornflake mixture.
9. Place chicken skin side down in the pan. Cook chicken until golden brown on each side (approximately 10-12 minutes).
10. Drain on paper towel.
11. Mix remaining 2 cups mayonnaise with remaining cayenne pepper and use as dipping sauce.